Thursday, January 21, 2010

They're Coming to Take Me Away, HaHa!

And so begins the Mental Health rotation. I went into this semester completely unsure of what it would be like. Do people wander the halls mumbling in their straight jackets, or screaming out from their padded cells? I was pleasantly surprised to find that there are none of these things here this semester. These are people who have hit a wall and need to learn how to get over it or work around it. They are people who need someone to believe they can succeed and to teach them the tools they need to do this. I am actually getting a bit excited about it. There are still some serious diseases that I will be working with, but it will be interesting to hear their stories and find out just how much they are like you or me, but with a little bigger burden to carry.



I am also taking a class for my own pleasure this semester. It is an in-depth class that takes you through assessments head to toe so that when I hit the Med-Surg floor in March I will feel like a pro with my patient! Okay, I will probably be way nervous, but I think it will be a great help!!!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new adventures in 2010!! You are such a great person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always knew you'd end up in a straight jacket! jk, jk, it sounds like a blast. i think we all need a padded cell every once in a while to let out our frustrations. i know i want one! with a trampoline floor, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute! thank you for your sweet comment on our blog. I am so glad you did because now I can keep track of you!!! :) Good luck with the mental health... maybe when you are done this semester you can come over to my house and help us!

    ReplyDelete